Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know of Coppins, Pershing County, NV.

Default Anyone know of Coppins, Pershing County, NV.

Hi All,

A few years ago we made a trip to Pershing County Nevada and the Black Rock area. After some internet research we made a stop at the Coppins botteling plant. Plant is probably to generous, it was really a few small buildings, with pipes to capture water flowing from the ground nearby. In one of the buildings was a pile of unused bottle caps, with cork seals, labeled "Coppins Club Soda" in a siloutte of Nevada. Really cool site on the top of a mountain, in the middle of nowhere, like most Nevada sites.

Our best guess is that they were actually botteling the spring water from the area, and selling it somewhere.

Anyway, the web site that referenced it is now gone, Google turns up nothing whatsoever that I can find, and my GPS log of the trip is lost.

Best I can remember is that it was in the area of Jungo, Nv., perhaps a little bit South?

If anyone has been there or remembers how to get there please let me know, I'd love to return and show some friends the sight.

If anyone is interested in further details or some photos please let me know, but as stated above I can't find it....

Thumbs up

I believe I know of the site you are talking about. It is actually across the Pershing County line in Humboldt County by a whopping 580 feet. If you would, drop me an email (dezdanATdesertminesDOTcom) with some photos and I can fill you in on its location.

~Dezdan

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TheProton
    Hi All,

A few years ago we made a trip to Pershing County Nevada and the Black Rock area. After some internet research we made a stop at the Coppins botteling plant. Plant is probably to generous, it was really a few small buildings, with pipes to capture water flowing from the ground nearby. In one of the buildings was a pile of unused bottle caps, with cork seals, labeled "Coppins Club Soda" in a siloutte of Nevada. Really cool site on the top of a mountain, in the middle of nowhere, like most Nevada sites.

Our best guess is that they were actually botteling the spring water from the area, and selling it somewhere.

Anyway, the web site that referenced it is now gone, Google turns up nothing whatsoever that I can find, and my GPS log of the trip is lost.

Best I can remember is that it was in the area of Jungo, Nv., perhaps a little bit South?

If anyone has been there or remembers how to get there please let me know, I'd love to return and show some friends the sight.

If anyone is interested in further details or some photos please let me know, but as stated above I can't find it....
    Another Bob, Since you are our Nevada, expert in and around that great of Nevada, could you tell us more about this historical location.

Flatiron, have you been to this site in your travels maybe you have something interesting to add.

J & S
    Last edited by Johnnie; 02-01-2006 at 04:39 AM.

Default Blackbird Mine = Camp Shangra-la

Actually a lot of the credit for this goes to Dezdan. I had a a Camp Shangrala located at 40° 51' 31"N, 118° 08' 31"W but didn’t have it associated with C. A. Coppin and the Dude Gold Mine which I had sketchy information about but associated with current name is the Blackbird Mine. Following Dezdan comments and correspondence, I pieced together a lot more on the Central Mining District, the Blackbird Mine, added a bunch to my Camp Shangra-la notes including the proper hyphen in the spelling of the name and discovered the later day mineral water connection..

There are two ways to get to Coppin’s Camp Shangra-la when you get to 40° 50' 55" North, 118° 07' 09" West

Depending on your vehicle and the conditions of the roads. I try to continue westerly at that point but the road that heads north at this point also would get you to Camp Shangra-la.
    via the Wheelbarrow Mine.

I bear northwest at a split in the road at 40° 51' 06"N, 118° 08' 04" West. The road that continues west goes to and past the Republican mine. Following my route you will swing around a little hill on your right.

About a 1000 feet the road will swing west and head up a ridge line at 40° 51' 21" North, 118° 08' 09" West. If the rains have been strong you may want to try the other way or get out and fill in some rocks but you are almost there! Continue to follow the road up the hill as it avoids the gully on your right (north) until the road heads first north and then east.

Hooray - You have reached C. A. Coppin’s Camp Shangra-la. In the Late 1940's and early 50's Coppin offered a mining experience here at what he called the Dude Gold Mine. It was sort of a dude mine along the lines of the dude ranches popular at the time. There were several cabins and some amenities to be had. Coppin also bottled and sold the water that drained from the mine as
    Coppin Mineral Water. That activity ends in the early 50's.

Sometime in the early 1970's another attempt at selling Mineral water, this time under the name (A popular name of the time), “Aquarius Mineral Water” but like other efforts here, that failed
    the same year it was started.

The key is to tie the actual Blackbird Mine, Camp Shangra-la and the name Coppins together. When you do, you have an interesting Nevada locale that hasn't really been around this state as long as either Johnnie or I have
    Last edited by Bob; 02-01-2006 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Replacing some wierd box characters with the degree ° symbol
    Yet Another Bob

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Blackbird Mine, etc.

Go to www.topozone.com, "view maps", type in Bob's coordinates and you're right on the money. OJ

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Selling mine water as mineral water? Doesn't sound appealing, but then again I've heard about the stuff that can be in mine water. Of course Vegas sells Elko bottled water, which is like selling ice to Eskimos if you think about it. Elko must not have enough ammonia perchlorate in their water like we do.

A friend and I are going to try and find this site on Saturday. Is it accessible off of Jungo Rd., or does one have to get to it out of Mill City? The directions from Bob and Dezdan sound like they're from Mill City. Any suggestions would be appreciated and I'll let you all know what we find.

Default Don't think there is any problem

The access to the point a few miles east and little south of the county line can easily be found with a GPS and a little preplanning and reached the north, south or southeast as the roads are dusty but passible. Happy hunting and take pictures.
    Yet Another Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    The access to the point a few miles east and little south of the county line can easily be found with a GPS and a little preplanning and reached the north, south or southeast as the roads are dusty but passible. Happy hunting and take pictures.
    Unfortunately, Bob, we're not that high tech. We'll be doing it the old fashioned way with paper maps.

Default When are you going to try.

I have more infor at home (I am work) but don't expect to be home till the weekend and have an obligation (Going to Ely) Saturday. If your not going till next weekend I can put something together.
    Yet Another Bob

Thread Information