Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this mine in Gleeson, AZ?

Default What is this mine in Gleeson, AZ?

Took the old Zuk out exploring today, and came upon this mine that I've seen for years, but until today, had not found a way up there.

The first pic is the so called "trail" that I had overlooked
    because it was so overgrown. I found the trail by going up a wash, and recent rains made the trip just a tad slippery in places, but the Zuki took it all in stride.

The second pic is the Zuki and some winch thing that had a huge, rusted machine at its base in a disintegrated shack .

The third pic is just an artistic shot I thought looked kinda spooky.

The fourth shot is of some kind of hopper. What was this used for?

Number five is a shot of the mountain, with numerous mines dotting the landscape. Somewhere is suposed to be a tunnel that joins my "mystery mine" but the mountain faces the wrong direction. Hmmm. Another "mystery" to be solved.

The last pic is just a shot of some lonely old ore cart tracks to nowhere.

Finally, the reason for this thread: Does anyone know the name of this mine? Its located in the mountains above Gleeson, Ariziona, easily visible from the town.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by tucson_tumbleweed; 09-03-2006 at 07:11 PM.
    Its not a crime to be old and forgetful. I shouldn't be a crime to shoot those that take pleasure in pointing it out.

Last pic: max uploaded on last post
    Its not a crime to be old and forgetful. I shouldn't be a crime to shoot those that take pleasure in pointing it out.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Nice pictures Tucson! The Sami looks great...although it does look tiny next to that iron dinosaur in the photo.
    There seems to have been a lot of turquoise mining done in that area, along with other things and it's hard to pinpoint which mine that is. Here are a few links that might help you sort it out.

If you scroll down the page on this first site, there's an iron dinosaur like the one in your photo, but this one is laying on its side.

I guess its the "Copper Bell" mine, from that article.

Here's a couple more pictures like the one you saw. In the first one, you can see its not a structure laying on its side, but a conveyor that feeds a hopper of some sort. (second pic)

That creepy rusty monolith is still pointing skyward, just a few feet away.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Can you use the coordinates on the mindat.org sites to locate the Mystery Mine's exact location using your GPS? It sounds like you were pretty close to it but it may be confusing because of the quantity of adits in that area. Do you know which one is Outlaw Mountain?

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Can you use the coordinates on the mindat.org sites to locate the Mystery Mine's exact location using your GPS? It sounds like you were pretty close to it but it may be confusing because of the quantity of adits in that area. Do you know which one is Outlaw Mountain?

According to my GPS, I was "right there". The pointer was nearly on top of the area marked as the MM.

No, I don't know which one is Outlaw mountain, but I'll do some checking. I know someone who has a house in Gleeson.

Don't you ever sleep?

Sure I sleep. I'm a very proficient sleep typist as you can probably tell from some of my disjointed posts.
    Do you intend to find the common entrance to the Mystery Mine through that other shared adit? (I forget which mine shares the entrance) if so, you've gotta be really careful, it sounds like while both mines are horizontal shafts, the Mystery Mine descends rather quickly

Default Location of "trail"

Hi Tucson - great photos. I own property up in Gleeson but have yet to explore the old mine sites. Do you have the coordinates of where that "trail" is located? Or maybe just a description of how you got there. Thanks!

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I think I can help you. Head up the wash from the Joe Bono bar.

The trail is less than 1/2 mile up on your left, but mostly overgrown, so its hard to spot.

Look for fresh Zuki tracks. If you still can't find it, I'll email you pictures, or better yet, make another trip.

Its super easy, but the hard part is picking out the trail among the overgrowth.

Default Trail

Thanks - I think I know exactly where it is... my boys are always riding up that wash. I'll have them take a closer look next time.

Thread Information