Thread: Maps of towns, road, railroads and forts

Default Maps of towns, road, railroads and forts

I ran across this map system and found the website. They are pretty cool - you use overlays to find current locations of old towns, roads, etc.
    http://www.maps-nwd.com/
    I have not had a lot of time to play with them but I am hoping they will help me find a couple places!
    Has anyone else used these?

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I have a few for Nevada. They have helped some good, some bad for me. Good things are they have sites listed that may or not be listed on newer maps. Bad is the older maps are usually not very accurate, and when you do the over lay, things can be way off. But it could just be for Nevada, as finding accurate pre 1900 maps can be iffy. Usually the Northern half is pretty good, but the Southern half can be a maze. But just having the names of a place and about where it should be has helped me find them on a state Atlas or similar map.

The one I have for gemstones has been interesting though. It's given me more hints than some of the rock hounding/gemstones books I have.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Old maps are not much for pinpoint accuracy but I have found some place names that are dropped from modern maps & topo's. Then with a little Kentucky windage can usually locate it on modern maps.

Can't have tooo many maps though.

Vulture

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

NW, have you used this website specifically for ordering? I was going to order the Arizona set, but noticed the last copyright on the web page was dated 2003. When I tried emailing them to inquire about the maps, I repeatedly got an error message. I hesitate giving out credit card information even though the maps themselves are only $10.95. If you've ordered from them with success recently, I'll go for it too. It looks like a pretty cool map set.

Quote Originally Posted by NWNative View Post
    I ran across this map system and found the website. They are pretty cool - you use overlays to find current locations of old towns, roads, etc.
    I have not had a lot of time to play with them but I am hoping they will help me find a couple places!
    I picked up a couple for Arizona recently at a map store. I find them interesting, but hard to read (the tiny red printing on the overlay) and so far haven't learned anything new. Its a great concept, though. Maybe I outta just study them and give it more time.
    Its not a crime to be old and forgetful. I shouldn't be a crime to shoot those that take pleasure in pointing it out.

I picked minie up at a book store. I haven't had a lot of time to play with them but the idea is great. I figured for ten bucks I might get some use out of them!

I have not had a chance to look at these particular maps, however I found that old maps are vague and like everyone else has said, inaccurate. I usually use an old map to locate a site by taking note of mountain ranges, rivers and geographic substance, then locate and compare on a new map. At least you get a general area to start with and a name. Nevada has a web site that lists all locales and mines etc by name then lists the cords. using map software and/or gps it is all down hill from there.
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

Quote Originally Posted by NWNative View Post
    I have the Washington Ghost Towns one. Pretty neat stuff! The old maps aren't very accurate and neither are the new maps but it gives you an idea at least.

I found 'em at Jerrolls in Ellensburg.

- Patrick

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

b u m p

Thread Information