Thread: Putting a name on unmarked graves.

Default Putting a name on unmarked graves.

I finally made time this long weekend to do a little exploring. I made a visit a old mining area in Yavapai county that I have been to before. I originally went there because I had a old Topo map that showed a cemetery there and sure enough I found 3 rock pile type graves. 2 large "adult" piles with a small "child" size grave between them. Not really a cemetary by most standards, but just the site of what appears to be a family or something similar is quite traggic. I am sure there was never a town of any type at the site of any type, likely tents as the only information I have about the site is it was a test mine that was only operated part of a year in 1919. How would someone find out about who is buried there? It is very sad that so many graves like this disappear to nature and are forgotten.
    There was no town, so no church etc. If counties keep burial records, at what year did this become standard practice? I have become really curiuous about how burials were handled. Obviously, it wasn't feasable to bring bodies to a main town for proper burial when people died out in the outback, but I wonder if all deaths were supposed to be reported to some sort of gov't agency.
    As a side note I never have found the main mine which is supposed to be a large vertical shaft, but I found a water filed horizonal shaft on the trail leading to the main site. The trail continued on further than I could take the trusty Scout, but I wasn't prepared for a hike. I plan on going back in the next couple of weeks and spending some time hiking and poking around.

Jay

Jay,

Most of the time records are kept by county, or archived by the state. I found this phrase explaining the records method on the web site I use to research deaths in Nevada.

NEVADA
    Birth and death records from 1887 to the present are recorded in each county, either in the office of the County Recorder or County Health Officer. The Nevada State Office of Vital Statistics has birth and death records from 1911 to the present for all counties

Keep in mind that records and methods / available years will vary from state to state, but I would start at the States Web Page and work my way to the county web pages. If your lucky you may find something, but keep in mind that many deaths were unreported. you may also do some research to see if anyone has written a book about the area/site. many times older writers/books will have some insight or try the closest historic society. As for the mine, you may try looking for the states "Mine and Mineral" site. many times they will list the cords. and you can use map software or gps to pin point. Good luck and have fun.
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Jay, I doubt that you'll find the information you're looking for regarding the three unmarked graves on this site,Yavapai Cemeteries but if you scroll to the bottom of the page, you'll see an email for Judy Wright-Branson, she appears to be somewhat an authority on the topic and may be able to steer you in the right direction.
    There's also the AZ Project Registry which is basically a work in progress and might contain some useful information.
    If all else fails, the good folks at the Sharlot Hall Museum and Library might be a possible resource, they're a leading authority on all things relating to Yavapai County historySharlot Hall Museum : Cemetery search and resources for Yavapai County

Good Luck!

Footnote:
    If you enjoy exploring Yavapai County, this is a great resource for old and new maps of all kinds.
    Index of Historic Maps and Aerial Views
    Last edited by LauraA; 09-06-2006 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks all,
    I actually stumbled into the Museum site when I was Googling to find info. I am planning on being a resident of Prescott in the next 2 months if all goes well so I'll probably just spend some time in the records room myself . I found some photos of the graves I took a year or two ago, I'll post them when I feel like firing up the photo editor. I guess growing up in 'modern' times and knowing where all my recently deceased relatives are buried I find it really facinating that in the not to far past people were often buried were they fell. I am beginning to wonder just how many generations back in my own family have actual graves.

Jay
    Last edited by Pnx Jay; 09-07-2006 at 09:28 PM.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

We've seen two such graves during our wanderings in the area. One was the grave of Elisha Reavis, also known as the hermit of the Superstitions. He had a very isolated ranch in the 1860's where he raised a few head of cattle and also grew an apple orchard. He was found dead on a trail near his ranch, with his near-dead mule at his side. He was buried where they found him and marked his grave with a roughly scratched in stone marker. Someone stole the stone and now all that marks his grave is a pile of rocks.
    The other grave in the Sierra Anchas, belongs to a ranch hand who fell off his horse in 1905 during a roundup and broke his neck. He too was buried where he fell. His grave is marked only by piled stones in the shape of a cross.
    I suppose in isolated places and before refrigeration it made sense to dispose of the body in the most practical manner available.

ouch...just bumped into something

Thread Information