Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Underwater Ghost Towns

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Underwater Ghost Towns

There are a number of settlements which are now underwater. Alamo Crossing in Arizona is one and there is one under Lake Powell, but can't think of the name off hand.

I just discovered that beneath Fools Hollow Lake in Show Low, Arizona is the one time settlement of Adair.

Just wondered how many others there are in the country that are now submerged.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Roosevelt, Idaho. I haven't been there yet, but the majority is submerged.
    Refer to Valley County, Idaho on the "select a State" feature of this website.
    -Steve
    http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member2686.png
    TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan 06 near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten...

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

The original town of Roosevelt, Arizona is under Roosevelt Lake, it was flooded in 1910 when the dam was completed. There were several buildings along with the post offce left in place to flood.
    Parts of the town of Livingston are also under Roosevelt Lake, although when the lake levels are down, very little remains to be seen of it.
    The original town of San Carlos is under water, submerged when Coolidge Dam was built in 1930. We've seen just a few foundations remaining when the water level there is down.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

St. Thomas was under Lake Mead, but due to the low lake levels it has resurfaced. In fact, there are numerous sites under lakes Mead and Mojave in NV that were early river boat stops, or stage/immigrant stops.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Default Underwater ghost towns

When they built Canyon Dam on the Guadalupe River in Comal county,north of New Braunfels,there were a couple of towns now under Canyon Lake.One is Crain's Mill,and i forget the name of the other one.
    If you look at photos of Canyon Lake here in Texas,you can see roads going down into the lake.
    I don't recall any thing about any towns under Medina Lake in Medina County,west of San Antonio.
    There are several old towns that are long gone.Like Demi John Bend,so named for a bend in the Guadalupe River.The road leading to the place is still there,but the area is now a ranch.Wasp Creek, Rebecca Creek and several others are long gone.
    The town of Callhan at Choke Canyon is under water,at least parts of it are I believe.Though most of the town moved.
    And at I think Falcon Lake west of here,there is the old Mexican town of Guerra that sometimes pops up when the lake waters are low.

In Utah...

The old town of Connellsville is under Electric Lake. I drove past the lake shortly after a recent drainage of it, but it wasn't completely drained and I couldn't see the tops of any building or structure.

The mining town of Hite is under Lake Powell.

The town of Rockport is under Rockport Reservoir.

The ghost town of Thistle is mostly underwater. The top halves of buildings are visible still, and I've always wondered what it would be like to take SCUBA gear and explore the town. Not sure you could do that in Thistle as the water is too murky.
    "There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure."

bonnevillemariner.com

I just found a website that lists underwater towns by state. Pretty cool.

Drowned Towns
    "There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure."

bonnevillemariner.com

I used to know the name of the one under Lake Powell but I'm drawing a blank right now. There's an old town by the name of Deer Creek that's submerged under Tibble Fork Reservoir and Connelsville under Electric Lake here in Utah, those are just a couple I can think of right off hand. Oh, and I can't forget Thistle, up Spanish Fork Canyon. A landslide that happened back in the 1980's caused that entire town to be submerged; it's one of the newer ghost towns. There are only a few buildings that escaped the water.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

So how do you plan to explore them?

scuba diving? Underwater cameras?

Pikes Peak City is under Chatfield resevoir
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Default Old Sanish

Old Sanish, North Dakota has recently re-emerged from Lake Sakakawea due to low water levels. We stumbled onto it and took some pictures a couples summers ago.

Check out our site, go to photo galleries and click on the Old Sanish gallery.

http://www.ghostsofnorthdakota.com

Thread Information