Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what happened to Aztec AZ

Default what happened to Aztec AZ

I spent a week in Aztec AZ in 1940 when I was about 9 years old , The Motel was run by a family named Anderson or Johnson. I even attended classes in a one room schoolhouse. Last year I went back to show my wife and there was nothing except the foundation of a fairly modern gas station,, What happend to Aztec , did the new highway kill it, Where did the family go?

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by candlou View Post
    I spent a week in Aztec AZ in 1940 when I was about 9 years old , The Motel was run by a family named Anderson or Johnson. I even attended classes in a one room schoolhouse. Last year I went back to show my wife and there was nothing except the foundation of a fairly modern gas station,, What happend to Aztec , did the new highway kill it, Where did the family go?
    Check the main page of this web site at: http://ghosttowns.com/ Click on Arizona at the top of the page.

Aztec is listed. It shows a couple of buildings and some foundations.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Default Aztec

Don...I wonder why Aztec became a ghost town and where the people went. I know it's remains are still there and it is an exit from the interstate highway.. Also. were you ever in the navy...

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by candlou View Post
    Don...I wonder why Aztec became a ghost town and where the people went. I know it's remains are still there and it is an exit from the interstate highway.. Also. were you ever in the navy...
    No but I still get kidded about "Don Winslow of the Navy" all the time. I'm old enough to remember the comics and the TV show & movies. I don't know anything about the town and only did a quick search on this web site. There are a number of Arizona folks on here and someone may know more about this place.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

DON.. Thank you for your reply .. I am also old enough to remember the other Don Winslow... I do hope that someone will get back to me with the history of Aztec from 1940 to today

I hate to give up ...Is there anyone out there who knows what killed AZTEC and where the families went???

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Where was Aztec?

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I think in Yuma County.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

HI Candlou,
    I was just there in Aztec AZ just off the I-8 on exit 73. Nothing but foundation and old dirt roads where people go shooting there guns. Just ten years ago there was a Chevron or Mobil gas station on the south side of I-8 just a few feet from the railroad tracks. I remember filling up on gas and a train just swished by less than 20 feet away. I went on the frontage road looking for it but it was leveled flat. I bet the pacific railroad tore it down after the old man who owned the gas station died. From what I read about the place it was originally a railroad stop and a stop for the old 80 highway that went through phoenix. There was a Nickerson Farms restaurant there( http://roadsidepc.esmartguy.com/azroute80pc348.jpg) at one time but all that is left is gas station island. I guess there was a hotel there to called the Aztec hotel (http://roadsidepc.esmartguy.com/azroute80pc349.jpg) It is funny how all the buildings are tore down. There is a Nickerson Farms restaurant in Picacho Peak, Arizona that is still standing with all the equipment still there. I am tired Candlou I will research AZTEC AZ sometime later.

Thumbs up Aztec az

Thank you History Lou...The post card of the old Hotel looks like the one I remember from 1940..If you find more info. on Aztec , please let me know...Candlou

Thread Information