Thread: Pink car stolen from Walker, AZ

Default Pink car stolen from Walker, AZ

The Pink Car, a Walker landmark for 73 years, was found in the Prescott High School parking lot early Thursday morning, only it's not pink anymore.

"I'm so thrilled they found the car," said Al Mettner, owner of the property where the pink 1939 Dodge sedan rested. "Although, the kids painted it school colors - blue and gold."

The Pink Car is also covered in graffiti, including some "very foul things you wouldn't want to publish," Dwight D'Evelyn, Yavapai County Sheriff's Office spokesman, said Thursday morning. "There also appears to be minor damage caused when people were moving the car."

Prescott police notified the Sheriff's Office at 7 a.m. that a school employee found the Pink Car at the school's parking lot and had it taken to the district's bus barn. Right now the Pink Car is being held in an impound yard until the investigation is complete.

More info: http://dcourier.com/main.asp?Section...88&TM=71751.23

I can't believe the stupidity of some kids; as of right now it seems like this was a senior prank, and I think this went too far beyond what a Senior Prank should be. If they are found guilty of theft they should be forced to carry the car ON FOOT from PHS to Walker, then place it in the same orientation it was before and then sand it and paint it.

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I would have it sanded and painted and then brought back. If you do it there, you'll leave the sand and paint chips all over the place not to mention all the over-spray of the new paint!

I have never been there, or seen the car but I'm glad they found it! I also clicked on the link to the story and sombody is wrong about the car ID or the picture, the pink sedan in the pic is a 1935 or 36 Ford, not a '39 Dodge.

Somewhere in the article they do mention a 36 Ford. If the car has been there for 73 years then it can't be a 39, unless they bought it as a model 1939 and then wrecked it straight out of the dealership. But a 36 means it was a couple of years old when it was wrecked.

Darin,

Yeah, that's true, they should fix it somewhere and then bring it back.

I'm still amazed that no one called the Police when they saw it driving away (the witness at least), but I'm guessing that people unfamiliar with the area don't know of the pink car. If I had seen them do it, I would have called the Sheriff's office and followed them until they got caught.

An update.

Yavapai County Sheriff's deputies cited four Prescott High School students over the age of 18 for charges ranging from criminal damage to theft for stealing and painting obscene graffiti all over the pink 1939 sedan, said Dwight D'Evelyn, spokesman for the Sheriff's Office at 3:15 p.m. Thursday afternoon.

The suspects' names and booking photos are not included in this story per Courier policy not to identify by name people who are charged with misdemeanors.

The graffiti included some "very foul things you wouldn't want to publish," D'Evelyn said Thursday morning. "There also appears to be minor damage caused when people were moving the car."

Two juveniles were issued referrals to the juvenile detention center and 15 to 20 other students were involved, D'Evelyn said Thursday afternoon.

Mettner had originally planned to keep the suspects out of the court system by having them restore the car.

"They're going to pay to have it towed back here, then they're going to set it up on concrete blocks, bolt it down, sand it, and give it a fresh coat of primer and pink paint," Mettner said Thursday morning. "They're going to do all the work themselves."

But D'Evelyn said the court couldn't actually order the primary suspects to restore the car to its previous condition.

"One of the reasons the primary suspects were cited was that the court can order them to pay restitution," D'Evelyn said.

Instead, PUSD bus barn staff will strip the graffiti and paint from the Pink Car, and Walker Fire volunteers are going to donate the paint, and either the bus barn staff will repaint the car or it will be done at an auto body shop, D'Evelyn said.
    Last edited by KE7WOX; 05-27-2011 at 08:12 AM.

Thread Information