Thread: Old Mine At Salt River Canyon, Arizona

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Old Mine At Salt River Canyon, Arizona

Returning from a camping trip I stopped at Salt River Canyon to take some photos. On the southern edge and looking across the road is this old mine. Does anyone know anything about this mine? I believe that the pathway to it is closed off.

"Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

A former asbestos mine located in sec. 13, T4N, R17E, about 1 miles SSW of the highway 60-77 bridge. Phillips gives the location as sec. 35, T5N, R17E. Opened in 1921, reopened 1928-1930 and 1936-1938.

Mineralization is a vein deposit with a linear ore body hosted in the Mescal Limestone. The ore zone is 0.08 meters thick. The asbestos is in 2 zones that are 14 feet apart. These zones are in a sliver of Mescal Limestone, 35 to 40 feet thick, overlain & underlain by thick diabase sills.http://www.mindat.org/loc-47528.html
    You who are on the road Must have a code that you can live by And so become yourself!

So it was an asbestos mine; think that I did hear or read somewhere that it was such, but nothing more about it.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

For years I've noticed that mine up there, and followed the road with my eyes figuring a route... But then we get back in the car and move on up the canyon...

Cool to know a little history about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by campp View Post
    For years I've noticed that mine up there, and followed the road with my eyes figuring a route... But then we get back in the car and move on up the canyon...

Cool to know a little history about it now.
    I think this gate to a pathway from Hwy60 after it turns SW heading for Globe is the one that goes to the mine, but not certain. The gate is closed and locked.

I don't have any recollection of ever having been to this mine, but a friend of mine says that we were there many years ago when my folks were camped at the nearby Seneca Lake campground. He remembers that there was quite a bit of equipment remaining around the mine opening. I would be interested in returning but do not know if I want to pay the high dollar special use permit that may be required by the San Carlos tribe(does it fall within the Black River/Salt River special permit area?). I have heard that folks have recently been hassled for permits to cross to Mule Hoof nearby. So it may not be a good idea to be wandering around the area without one.

Thread Information