Thread: Quartzburg California

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Quartzburg California

Originally posted by Chriss

: I would like to have Joshua Reader respond. The story he wrote about Quartzburg is about my gr gr gr graandfather

: Chriss

Default Quartzburg

I have learn that my gggrandfather may have been buried near a town named Quartzburg. I have run across a town of that name in Kern Co., CA. The one I'm looking for shouls be in Mariposa Co., CA. Do you have any infomation? Thanks

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Quartzburg

Mr. Finn: A Quartzburg School appears in Mariposa County on GNIS. Might be a starting point. Check out 37-32-02N, 120-12-27W on topozone. You will find a small cemetery nearby to the NE of the School site. Good Luck Partner. OJ ------ P.S. You related to Fred and Mickey??
    Last edited by old judge; 07-20-2005 at 12:36 PM.

Default Burns/Quartzburg townsite

Old Judge is correct, what is now marked on topographic maps as Quartzburg School was apart of the Burns/Quartzburg townsite. This would be about two miles northeast of Hornitos along Burns Creek. Quartzburg likely started out as a mining camp named Burns, with the name changed to Quartzburg in 1851. Do you know the period or the date of when your gggrandfather was to have been buried there?

~Dezdan

Default Quartzburg Mariposa County, CA

Sorry to have missed out on the conversation until now! What was the original question?

Chriss: who was your great great great grandfather?

I've done a fair amount of research on this area and am in the process of writing a history of it. My education has been a distraction from this objective, thus the delay.

-Josh
    Last edited by Joshua Reader; 09-08-2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typos

Default Quartzburg School

There were two Quartzburg School sites: the first on land donated by Samuel Lord on the east bank of Burns Creek close to the town site of Quartzburg and the old Thorn adobe. The school was later relocated to the other side of the creek and farther north; a modern house now occupies the property. This latter school, of which there are many photos extant, was built closer to the famous Mount Gaines Mine and is likely the one indicated on topo maps.

There are a few cemeteries in this neighborhood of which I'm aware: two private cemeteries on the Lord and Northrup ranches respectively, and the secluded main Quartzburg cemetery. Hornitos, a couple miles south, has at least 3 cemeteries; your ancestor could be interred at any of these.

Before Quartzburg was established the area was simply known as Burns Diggings, for the creek which was named after a pre-Gold Rush ranch. These placers were largely exhausted in the early '50s when quartz mining became predominant.

Thread Information